Friday, October 29, 2010

Shoes and Desks


This week’s blog was by far my favorite. We were assigned the task of sending a text messages to friends in order to receive two random inanimate object/thing words. We sent the message because we weren’t supposed to pick the words on our own. Once we received the words we were supposed to “mind dump” and just write everything we could about the words individually. Next, we had to think of as many combinations, using the two words, as possible.
First Word: DESK
When thinking about desks, several things come to mind. First, desks can be made from different things such as wood or metal. You can also use them for various reasons. You can complete your work at a desk. You can sleep at your desk. It can be a furniture piece for decoration in a room. You can use it to hoard things inside or place things on. You can stand on it to fix something on the ceiling. It can be a symbol of power. The bigger the desk is the better. Desks in school always have nasty things under them. I had friends that looked silly sitting in them because the desks were too small. I never had enough space to feel comfortable sitting in them during high school. I wasn’t able to lay all my assignments out to get a visualization of everything I needed to complete. Things you can use instead of a desk could be tables, dressers, or countertops. I can honestly say that I have never carved any message onto a desk. Some of my worst encounters with desks involved bubblegum on the seat.
Second Word: SHOE
Shoes are an obsession of mine. I probably own over sixty pairs. Despite how many pairs I own, I’m actually very picky. You can use them to express yourself. You can throw them at people if you’re mad (I have never done this I promise J). You can use them to squash a bug. I once saw a shoe used as a replacement for a hammer. There are so many types of shoes: heels, tennis, flats, boots, and flip-flops. You need them to get into restaurants. You can use them to get better grip, which can be used in construction work or competitive athletics. When worn inappropriately, you can mess up your feet. Sometimes they can smell really bad. The Pope wears red Prada shoes. My favorite pair of shoes growing up had lights that blinked when I stepped. They were so cool until they stopped blinking. Shoes are actually very important because they protect your feet from injury. It’s hard for me to imagine that there are people in this world that don’t own a pair and probably need them more due to harmful surfaces.
            It’s really difficult for me to think about ways to combine them, but here goes nothing.
·      You can use a desk to display a shoe.
·      You can store a shoe inside a desk.
·      You can place a shoe under the leg of a desk to make it a more even surface.
·      You can make shoes for a desk. They have legs after all.
·      You can carve a desk into a pair of wooden clogs.
·      You can use a shoe to fix a desk. More specifically, a loose nail on the desk.
·      If the desk is small enough to find in a Polly Pocket then you can transport the desk in a shoe
·      You can make a desk from a bunch of shoes.
·      You can decorate a desk with shoes (why not? We decorate with stockings for Christmas.)
·      You can make shoes modeled after a desk (Maybe Lady Gaga would wear them.)
·      You can make a desk modeled after a shoe (I know they make chairs like that already.)
I know creating shoes for a desk sounds silly, but some people might actually enjoy the humor. I personally wouldn’t buy shoes for my desk, but I would very much be entertained if I saw them, and some people out there seek to entertain. The other idea that I felt could be tweaked was the concept of storing shoes inside a desk. I know women do it already or they simply leave their shoes under their desk. They do this when they’ve brought two pairs of shoes to work and their feet hurt. Why hasn’t a desk been made with a small shoe shelf? I would definitely buy that! If there’s anything that bothers a woman more than her shoes hurting it’s people knowing that her shoes hurt. I think a small shelf to store shoes discretely would be great.

1 comment:

  1. Erika,

    I agree. I would buy one if I see the shoes for desk in the Target. You may extend your thinking of "shoes for desk" to the "cushiony corner guards for furniture". I am personally more interested in the desk for fixing and shining shoes and sneakers. It would be nice if I have a shoes desk:)

    ReplyDelete